Saving Face


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...


















My friend felt weird during the screening, "Do you feel strange?"

"There..." I pointed to the whole row of short-cropped females right in front. The cinema was filled with more women since Be With Me. For once, I get to see all the successful media women folk who had been shunning movies like Transporter 2 and The Myth.

Saving Face is the female version of The Wedding Banquet, directed and written by Alice Wu. The ever gorgeous Joan Chen takes on the role of a traditional Chinese widow, with a successful daughter Wil (Michelle Krusiec). (Incidentally, Michelle's been nominated for a Golden Horse.)

"Mum, I love you and I am gay."

Wil's lesbian and mum's pregnant. How complicated can it get? Not in a traditional Chinese family definitely. Saving Face, or more correctly said, losing face is a no-no for the ultra-strict grandfather.

Joan Chen's subtle, Michelle's natural and her girlfriend is just gorgeous. Saving Face achieves all that Hainanese Chicken Rice failed to. The love between parent-child, and same-sex relationship was well played out. I felt strange, but eventually kind of touched at how strong love can be.

Saving Face – Unassuming and Unpretentious


0 Responses to “Saving Face”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links