Singapore Dreaming


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




















Director: Colin Goh, Woo Yen Yen
Starring: Richard Low, Alice Lim, Serene Chen, Lim Yu-Beng, Yeo Yann Yann, Dick Su
RunTime: 110 mins
Genre: Drama/Comedy
Rating: PG
Who Should Watch: I wish everyone in this country!


Singapore Dreaming is the most personal movie I watched in 2006.

I was pretty excited to catch it as it starred my colleague Serene (who just gave birth to beautiful baby Ella) and Yann Yann, whom I think is one of the finest actresses in Singapore. I first came in contact with Yann Yann years back when she was a tenant at my uncle’s flat ,and then invited her to star in my first short film project The Last Flight of the Red Butterflies. She captured the essence and soul of the movie really well.

Back to the story, it is a story about a Singaporean family with dreams and aspirations. After the old man wins lottery, they struggle hard to find the true meanings of their dreams. Every character has a story, one you may see around you.

While Jack Neo has directed many movies which tried to weave in social commentary, they lack in terms of artistic merits and scripting (no offence). Beautifully filmed and well casted, Singapore Dreaming is a product that every Singaporean should be proud of.

Directed by husband and wife team Colin Goh and Wu Yen Yen, it digs where it supposed to, being funny, touching, realistic and reflective all at the same time. I managed to catch up with them days before and thought they were a sincere pair who would work well together (
http://www.rp.sg/articles/20060824001.asp).

The first thing I messaged Collin was the story reminded me of my own family. Dick Su who played an IT graduate shared the same name as my brother Ah Seng. who also happened to be an overseas graduate. The last dialogue by the mother drove tears, which reminded me of my mother who never really got to sing as well.

Singapore Dreaming could very well be your story. What they need is your support now. (Incidentally, if you are watching the movie, buy liang teh in to drink. It will make a difference. Trust me.)

Singapore Dreaming – A movie every Singaporean should be able to identify with. A must watch.


1 Responses to “Singapore Dreaming”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi Ban Ban
    What's your short film "The Last Flight of the Red Butterflies" about?

    I too think Yeo Yann Yann is one fine actress, having seen her in the plays A Beautiful Companion and Thunderstorm last year. And Spore Dreaming of course. I wonder why she's not achieved recognition yet for her acting chops!

    TK

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links